terça-feira, 16 de março de 2010

The beasts of my travels

Real beasts of Swaziland
Back in the nineties and for almost two years, the Mkhaya Nature Preserve, near Mbabane, capital of the Kingdom of Swaziland was my favorite weekend destination. I kept the postcard as a reminder of the Park's great beauty. It is a small preserve founded and run by the Reilly family and by Swazis and it has helped to save white and black rhinos from extinction.  The young boy, I believe, is Ted Reilly. The caption reads  "Forgot the gun".  In reality white rhinos are quite peaceful, not to say the same for black rhinos.


Imaginary beasts at the Passarada farm

Wild cat or ant eater? Passarada farm, Piracaia, Sao Paulo, Brazil, January 1st, 2010


Eve and the Beasts in Paradise
Mark Twain in Eve's Diaries, illustrations by Lester Ralph, free and printable book, part of the Project Gutenberg.

Eve muses: "I couldn't get back home; it was too far and turning cold; but I found some tigers and nestled in among them and was most adorably comfortable, and their breath was sweet and pleasant, because they live on strawberries. I had never seen a tiger before, but I knew them in a minute by the stripes. If I could have one of those skins, it would make a lovely gown."

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário