quarta-feira, 7 de julho de 2010

Mistaken Identities


If the larvae of Monarch butterflies (Danaus plexippus) are dependent on the Milkweed (Asclepias species) for survival, how come they have devoured my entire supply of parsley and of dill?  Milkweed is just down the road a few steps...

Iconoclast caterpillars?
Ah, no, not quite. In my human zeal I even attempted to move the last caterpillar to the milkweed patch.



Similar but not the same as Monarchs, these were Black Swallowtail larvae (Papilio polyxenes) that like to feed on dill, fennel, parsley, celery and other plants from the Umbelliferae family. At least, that is what my body of evidence suggests.


Within ten days or so, I witnessed the return of what looked to be the Progenitor of them all and soon, vibrant colorful swallowtails started to fly in the garden.


Today I found the third batch of larvae.
Great fun to learn to stay away from the nets, unwarranted urge to protect and interfere in transformation.

Um comentário: